Why I've Started a Blog
I AM NOT A FASHION BLOGGER!
I am a professional wardrobe stylist with a four year degree in Clothing and Textiles. Over the last 15 years I have done 1,000's of one-on-one wardrobe consultations with REAL women with REAL bodies; everything from petites to plus size, 0 - 26. And believe me, you can have two women the same height and the same weight, but they can still have very different body-types.
No Professional Models For the last 10 years I've educated TV viewers with a weekly wardrobe segment on both the ABC and CBS affiliates. And rather than using professional models, when I can, I use TV viewers ~ REAL women with REAL bodies.
>> More on my experience.
Behind a Computer Truth is I would rather be in a woman's closet, teaching her proper fit and how to recognize the most flattering clothes for her body-type than sitting behind a computer. But with some persistence I've been persuaded to start a blog to share with my readers what I've learned working with so many everyday women.
We're Not Mannequins It's easy to pull images of clothes off a website and match them up in nice combinations like a modern-day, computer-aided version of "dress ups," but REAL women are 3-dimensional. My experience is that women's clothing has numerous inconsistencies and variations in sizing, complicated by a woman's often distorted self-perception.
The end result is that women often choose clothes that don't fit them well. If we were all mannequins it would be easy, but we're not, and I've never seen a mannequin go through the life changes of having a baby nor menopause. And even the 100's of professional models I've worked with on events and fashion shows can have great variations. I've had two 5'10" size 4 women standing side by side with different proportions. One was long waisted, the other short waisted, one was an hourglass and the other a rectangle in shape, they had different waist to hip line ratios and inseam measurements, yet they were both size 4 and the same height. Simply put, women are not mannequins.
Focus on the Positive I've also noticed that when I ask women to tell me what they like best about their body, they are quick to say what they don't like. After teaching proper fit, I show women how the right cuts and styles for their body-type can effectively accentuate their figure assets and minimize their challenges. I get them to focus on the positive aspects of their body instead of dwelling on the negative.
Latest Trends Of course I'm up-to-date with the latest trends and I enjoy watching the fashion "red carpet" events, but I also recognize that it's not reality. Most of us, including myself, don't have endless income to shop wherever we want. It's more important to build a core wardrobe and to have that be 80% of your closet and the remaining 20% can be trendy pieces.
I'm a Teacher My goal as I launch my blog is to teach my readers how to recognize proper fit and which styles of clothes are most flattering to their body-type. With this knowledge, my readers can then shop where they want. I've shopped with clients from your local Target to high-end boutiques in Italy, and everything in between.
No More Regrets When you understand my Fit & Flatter principles (>> learn more...), you can apply them to purchase clothes at any price point and let your personal style shine through. You will also stop wasting money on clothes that are simply unflattering and become regrets hanging in the closet.
This is what it means to be Chic on a Shoestring!